Phone: (610) 524-7860 or 1-800-221-9542
With the recent hurricane and impending winter weather, it’s a good idea to take some basic precautions to protect against an insurance loss before the weather turns bad. High winds, low temperatures, ice, rain, and snow can all conspire to cause damage to your home, autos, and other property.
There are many simple, low-cost or free ways to prevent damage to your home and property during inclement weather. Here are some basic tips for keeping your family safe and avoiding a weather-related insurance loss:
– Bring inside or secure any outdoor furniture, fixtures, or yard items, such as bird feeders, trashcans, chairs, etc.
– Keep pathways clear, so snow, ice, slippery leaves, etc. don’t accumulate.
– Be sure that gutters and drains are clear and properly fastened to your home.
– Take precautions to prevent frozen pipes, especially if you will be away from home. Frozen or burst water pipes can cause huge losses in addition to being inconvenient and expensive. Set your thermostat to a temperature above 60 degrees and insulate any pipes that are exposed to the cold.
– Inspect any trees on your property for damaged or broken branches. You will want to take care of these as soon as possible to prevent them from breaking off and causing injury or damage to people, cars, or your home.
– If you have a fireplace, be sure to check the flue before lighting a fire. In fact, it’s a good idea to have your chimney inspected each year to be sure it’s in good working condition.
These are just a few of the ways that you can prepare your home for a safe, cozy winter. Our agents are always available to answer questions about your insurance policies…If you would like to talk more about your property and liability coverage, or for a free quote, give us a call today at (610) 524-7860!